Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Chalk Zone

(from a comment I started on John's site, where I was expressing my jealousy of his dream recall ability)

I don't even recall those kind of details immediately on waking. It's like whatever I was dreaming about is immediately erased upon waking.

You know, say you draw a huge mural on a chalkboard. Then you take a big eraser and suddenly erase the whole thing as quickly as you can. When you're done, inevitably there are a couple of chalk marks left behind here and there, unrelated.

Those little chalk marks are what I recall on waking most of the time, if at all. If I'm extremely lucky, I'll remember enough to post one of my usual entries I've done online here. If I'm somewhat lucky, I'll remember a little chalk mark. Like last night:

All I remember when I woke is I was either watching or performing in a production of "Into the Woods".

That's the little Chalk Mark of the Day.

7 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger j (PM) r said...

I like that! I like that!

Could I borrow that phrase? "Chalk Mark" memories?
I had a few of those in the past couple of days.

A few nights ago, I could only recall me in a dark RV. I can't remember anything else.

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure - no problem :)

Lachesis

(is anyone else reading this site?)

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger j (PM) r said...

For the moment, it's just you and me commenting on this fascinating set of discussions (swiss chese and chalk marks).

I have a question for you. Last night I had a rather god awful disturbing dream. Once again, I remembered a lot of details. How is it that with some memorable dreams you are able to remember a lot (nightmares, disney dreams, etc) and other dreams you can't remember a damn thing except for an image here or a person there.

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the big question, isn't it? I would assume the $1.98 answer is that the bigger the emotional resonance of a dream (for good or bad), the better chance you'll have to remember it.

But for me, I can't recall a dream in recent memory (or even near-recent memory) that's really evoked that much of an emotional reaction from me. The Disney dreams, or even the sexual or quasi-sexual dreams didn't really reverberate with me emotionally, and I seem to keep them at arm's length.

I assume this is the main reason I don't recall the details very well.

Probably my most intensely emotional dream was the one of the alien invasion/maze crawl from a couple months back, but that was mostly a "plot" dream, not one I really had a lot of emotional involvement in.

I almost envy your "god awful disturbing dream" for its break from the norm -- then I think twice and I'd rather not, thank you :)

Lachesis

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger j (PM) r said...

Hey...Have you ever had a "wake up" dream? I had a second one last night.

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings it's rather cold here today, but summer is comming to our part of the world soon. I was looking for the latest most up to date information on dream guide and I landed on your page. Although Chalk Zone is not an exact match I can see why I ended up here while looking for dream guide Great stuff thanks for the read.....now where did I put that surf board !

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings it's rather cold here today, but summer is comming to our part of the world soon. I was looking for the latest most up to date information on dream dictionary and I landed on your page. Although Chalk Zone is not an exact match I can see why I ended up here while looking for dream dictionary Great stuff thanks for the read.....now where did I put that surf board !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home